Saturday 25 July 2009

My ship

My Ship
Silence Pervades the room
And I am happy;
Alone, not lonely.
Four walls solid,
Sturdy roof of years greater than my age.
A log shifts lazily in the woodstove;
Glistening orange light throws shards
Across the darking room.
Smoke puffs, ethereal, ghostly,
Dissipating in the silence.
My needs are few, my wants fewer.
The clock ticks lazily on.
I lay down my book, a darting shape
Slices the evening sky.
A gull wheels off towards the cliff,
The dull roar of breaking waves
Almost imperceptible, but ever present.
My eye lights on green,
The trees I planted, hands roughed and
Bones aching; the skyward beans
And rows of fruit.
Chickens strut towards the night,
Content, replete in their feathered world,at peace.
Creaking chair,I rise and close
The hastening darkness out;
cocooned in long-shadowed
Lamplit comfort.
Silence pervades the room,
And I am happy;
Alone, not lonely.
My ship has come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment