Saturday 25 July 2009


HORSEPOWER
I know a little about baking,
I know a little about flour,
I know more about the universe
With every passing hour.
I know a lot about my garden,
Of how things thrive and grow,
But of matters such as horse power,
There’s a lot I do not know.
I’ve looked it up and searched the web,
The books and papers too.
They talk of watts and unit rates
And words I never knew.
It’s got to do with doing work,
Of that I have no doubt –
Of pounds per second, foot pounds too,
I’ll never work it out.
I’m not of scientific bent
I’d be the first to claim.
Watts and rates and miles per hour
–Aren’t they all the same?
I don’t know why my jam sets
Or how my hens lay eggs,
Or what the difference really is
Between horseflies, bugs and clegs.
The light comes on, the iron irons,
The cooker cooks our meal
As long as they all work for me,
It’s really no big deal.
The seasons change, the sun comes out
The wind will blow and blow,
But how these things have come about
I’ll really never know.
An engine is a puzzle,
The workings of the world,
To me the mysteries of men
Will never be unfurled.
A pencil writes, a window shuts,
A needle has an eye,
The bath taps empty nice and hot,
I don’t need to know why.
I’m happy in my little world
It’s safe, secure and fun.
I don’t drown myself in detail,
I just let life run and run.
And as for this here horsepower,
It seems to pass me by.
I know it’s there, that it exists,
Without me knowing why.

No comments:

Post a Comment